Skip to content
Library Board resources
- Maryville Public Library is an independent political subdivision classified as a Voted-tax Municipal Library District governed by a nine-member Executive Board of Trustees that meets the second Tuesday of every month at noon.
- Laws related to the governance of public libraries in Missouri can be found in Chapter 182 of the Revised Statutes of Missouri.
- Working Together: Roles of the Library Director, Governing Board & Friends Group.
- Missouri Sunshine Law: Top 10 Things to Know
- The Missouri State Library, a division of the Missouri Secretary of State’s Office, provides advisory services and federal LSTA grant administration to public, academic, and public school libraries in the state. Some of their resources that may be most useful to library trustees include: Missouri Public Library Trustee Manual (2016 edition), Missouri Public Library Standards (2014 edition), and Public Libraries in Missouri Annual Statistical Report (comparable information among more than 150 public library districts in Missouri. Covers income, expenditures, service population, tax levy rates, personnel, and library usage data.)
- Library of Michigan’s Financial Management resource page for libraries.
- United for Libraries Resources for Friends Groups page.
- Missouri Library Association’s Jobline provides libraries a portal in which to advertise library director, professional librarian, and support staff job openings. It’s also a good way to keep up with the qualifications, skill sets, and pay rates associated with employment within Missouri libraries.
- American Library Association’s resource page on meeting rooms, exhibit spaces, and programs provides guidance and examples on library policies related to conflicts and First Amendment-related challenges for public libraries. ALA is a long-standing non-profit organization with an annual budget of over $50 million.
- Example policies from other area libraries: Daniel Boone Regional Library, Lied Library (Clarinda)
- WebJunction offers online web courses for staff, trustees, and volunteers.
- EveryLibrary is a national political action committee formed to “help public, school, and college libraries win bonding, tax, and advisory referendum, ensuring stable funding and access to libraries for generations to come.”
- Principles for Good Governance and Ethical Practices [for nonprofits] by Independent Sector.
- Find more useful information under About the Library, Library Policies, and Give.