About the Library
Our mission is to help the citizens of Maryville succeed and enjoy life by reading, learning, creating, and connecting.
The primary source of income for the Maryville Public Library is a 28-cent property tax levy per $100 of Assessed Valuation. The tax is levied within the city limits of Maryville.
The Maryville Public Library is run by a nine-member volunteer Executive Board of Trustees. The Library Board meets regularly at noon on the second Tuesday of every month. Interested applicants must reside within the Maryville City taxing district in order to be eligible. Terms last three years and can be renewed two times.
Maryville citizens residing within the City taxing district are eligible to serve on the board. Terms are three years, and may be renewed up to three times. If you’d like to serve, ask for a library board application at the desk or print one from this link:
2019-20 Library Executive Board of Trustees
FRONT ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT: Amber Galbraith, Steve Klotz, and Board Secretary Giuli Coniglio
BACK ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT: Jenny Rytting, Richard Fulton, and Board Treasurer Barb Nelsen.
NOT SHOWN: Jody Strauch, Keely Cline, and Lewis Rice.
Current library staff:
Stephanie Patterson, Library Director
Wilma Henggeler, Assistant Director
Elizabeth Argo, Youth Services Coordinator
Debbie Clark, Library Assistant, Preschool Story Hour Coordinator
Richard Leach-Steffens, Library Assistant, Adult Services Assistant
Carter Caceres, Library Assistant
Currently, all positions are filled. Please check this page often, or follow us on Facebook to learn of new job openings at MPL.
History of the library:
The Maryville Public Library opened its doors to the public on July 1, 1905 at its original location at the corner of Buchanan and Second Streets. The building, constructed of red pressed brick, was funded with a $15,000 gift from the American Industrial Leader and famed philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.
The total number of books on hand in January 1, 1910 was 4,468.
(Source: Past and Present of Nodaway County Missouri, B.F. Bowen & Company, 1910)
ABOVE: Original Carnegie Library building at W. Second and N. Buchanan.
BELOW: In 1962, the Library Board of Trustees took possession of the limestone structure that formerly housed the Maryville Post Office at the corner of Fifth and Main Streets.
BELOW: A major expansion and renovation funded by private donations and grant income began in 1999 and was completed in 2001.
Today, the Maryville Public Library holds over 57,000 titles, as well ebooks, downloadable audiobooks , public use high speed Internet stations, electronic databases, and wireless access. Materials circulation in Fiscal Year 2017 was 75,447.